Napili 4-5 Desilting Basin
With the goal of stopping the damage done by repeated ‘uncontrolled‘ storm runoff at the south end of Napili Bay,
we focused on repairs to the desilting basin.
- Designed (donated by NRCS) and installed a tri-level outlet valve on the desilting basin
- Installed a grassed waterway (NRCS & MCDPW) to slow and filter runoff from basin
- Installed two outdoor educational signs
- “Respecting Coral Reefs”
- “Malama Kahawai” (original design)
- Project completed and blessed, Fall 2011
- Silt and debris deposits have damaged our reef after heavy rainfall events
- Storm runoff was not retained in the basin to settle out
- Except for the runoff caused by Hurricane Olivia (Sept. 12, 2018), there has been no new stormwater runoff
from the basin into Napili Bay since January 2012!